An adventurous jazz album by a band that infuses the elements of Americana and Rock in a jazz format, that has all the markings of Modern Jazz with an accessibility to cross over to a wide base of listeners, yet still retaining its jazz roots.
Portland-based musician, Kathleen Hollingsworth has been performing and writing for most of her life. A childhood steeped in singing led her to study piano and composition and is now highly active in the northwest as a choral educator, adjudicator, director and leads the band, Mad Love. Upon a serendipitous connection, she met drummer, Brent Follis (Ari Shapiro, Pink Martini) and there was an immediate musical kinship. They began playing as a duo at a neighborhood Italian kitchen called Nonna’s where he helped bring her compositions and arrangements to life. The new album, ISH illustrates the four years they’ve been playing together and developing a multi-faceted musical canvas where singer-songwriter mixes jazz and Americana-Rock into an ear and soul-pleasing experience.
East coast grit and west coast soul meet at the confluence of jazz, singer-songwriter and Americana-Soul in this album entitled ISH. Poetic lyricism melded with stylishly executed rhythms carry you underneath a dreamy starlit sky where the moon longs to catch the sun, or to mourn the soul that leaves the body through the feet. West coast organist Wil Blades adds his super soul playing on a reimagined Easy Rider and east coast jam-icon, Billy Martin adds his artwork to the cover. Add to that a saucy arrangement of Willy Wonka’s Candy Man and a metaphorical bridge between riding bikes and staying in the flow, you have a new genre and album called ISH.
PLAYERS AND INSTRUMENTS:
Kathleen Hollingsworth, vocals, keys
Brent Follis, drums
Dave Captien, bass
Wil Blades, organ, "Easy Rider"
Dominic Castillo, guitar, "Hey There, Rider"
Ross Garlow, bass, "Hey There, Rider."
TRACKS AND TIMES
1. Wave The Sun Goodbye 4:39 |comp. Kathleen Hollingsworth
2. Whisper Not Benny Golson 5:01 |arr. Kathleen Hollingsworth
3. Beneath an Evening Sky 5:47 |comp. Kathleen Hollingsworth
4. Hey There, Rider 4:00 | comp. Kathleen Hollingsworth
5. Easy Rider 4:32 |arr. Kathleen Hollingsworth
6. Passing of The General 4:23 |music: Brent Follis, lyrics: Kathleen Hollingsworth
7. Weightless 3:54 |comp. Kathleen Hollingsworth
8. Candy Man 4:03 | Leslie Bricusse/Anthony Newley, arr. Kathleen Hollingsworth